I had mentioned this bike in a previous post, but here it is with adequate photos and description. This is the only mixte frame I have ever seen by Cuevas. Francesco Cuevas is originally from Spain, but came to the USA in the 1960’s. He set up shop in Astoria, NY and built frames in the old world style, meaning using brass brazing over the newer silver that was available. He also built bikes by eye, no jig. A detail I personally really like. He retired back to Barcelona Spain with his wife and daughter. His son Andres continues the tradition in Ridgefield Park, NJ. Here he is building a bike by eye. Photo courtesy of classic Rendezvous.
This Bike has been changed a bit from when we first got it. It originally had a lot of aftermarket alloy bits and pieces for the Campagnolo rear derailleurs, pedals, and stem, etc. I switched those components out and replaced them with standard Campagnolo Nuovo Record parts. The measurements are as follows:
- 50 CM CTC seat tube
- Distance between seat tube and head tube (CTC) is 56 CM. this bike would fit some one of medium height well, 5′ 6″ – 5′ 10″.
- Campagnolo high flange NR hubs laced to Rigida alloy (Rigid Alu) model rims (clincher).
- Campagnolo NR rear derailleur pat. 73′
- Campagnolo NR front derailleur.
- Campagnolo NR brake calipers with Super Record brake levers (drilled blades)
- Campagnolo NR 27.2 seat post.
- Stronglight P3? headset (steel)
- Campagnolo NR Bottom bracket.
- Campagnolo 170mm strada crank set (no date code)
- Campagnolo NR pedals (not pictured) included
- Cinelli Unicanitor saddle in great shape.
- Cinelli Campione Del Mondo (crest logo) bars 40 CM wide.
- old logo Cinelli 1A stem.
The bike has no decals, but seems to be original paint with the signature Cuevas seat stay caps and large windowed seat lug. Chromed head lugs and fork . Nice double arching rear brake bridges. No tubing decal, but it feels like a Columbus built frame to me (just speculation). I estimate this bike to have been built in the 1970’s. Very nice high end mixte bike. Please email at: firstname.lastname@example.org for price or with any questions you may have.